THE POTENTIAL HAZARD OF ASPARTAME
ABSORPTION FROM WITHIN THE MOUTH
By H. J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P., F.C.C.P.
(c)2004 by H. J. Roberts, M.D
Posted 28 June 2004
Aspartame disease is being increasingly encountered in medical practice. (1-4) Over two-thirds of the population currently consumes the chemical aspartame, most commonly, as "diet" sodas and "sugar-free" products. I have detailed the serious neurological, psychiatric, metabolic, endocrine allergic and addictive aspects of this affliction. (1-5)
The widespread consumption of popular aspartame products that can be absorbed from the mouth and oropharynx should be cause for concern. They include gum, mouthwashes, chewable drugs and vitamins, and rectangular "mouth-freshener" strips placed on the tongue. Sugar-free mints are recommended for low-carbohydrate dieters who experience bad breath.
The prompt and predicable recurrence of symptoms (e.g., headache, dizziness, seizures, confusion, visual features, joint pain) on initial exposure or rechallenge to aspartame in this manner has been impressive. These issues are relevant.
* Persons tend to chew aspartame gum up to five times longer than regular gum.
* The prompt absorption of this neurotoxin from the mouth and oropharynx, with direct transport to the brain by a unique pathway, has clinical confirmation. (see below)
* These products can create an intense craving for sweets due to increased insulin secretion.
* The potential for addiction, related largely to the methyl alcohol component of aspartame, is significant. Scores of patients experienced severe withdrawal reactions after abrupt cessation.
* The response of a previously well woman illustrates this issue. "I suffered a grand mal seizure watching a movie immediately after applying a Listerine Strip. My friend gave me the strip, and it's the last thing I remember. Apparently, I stiffened up, my eyes rolled back in my head, and I bit my tongue and drooled. I regained awareness 1/2 hour later as I was being unloaded from the ambulance. A CAT scan, an MRI, blood work and other tests were all inconclusive."
Persons at high risk for aspartame reactions ought to be warned against using these products. They include pregnant women, children and patients with seizures, migraine, diabetes, hypoglycemia and weight disorders.
1. Roberts HJ Reactions attributed to aspartame containing producs: 551 cases. J appl Nutr 1988; 40:86-94.
2. Robert HJ. Aspartame (NutraSweet): Is It Safe? Philadelphia, The Charles Press, 1989.
3. Roberts HJ, Sweet'ner Dearest: Bittersweet Vignettes About Aspartame (NutraSweet) West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 1992.
4. Robert HJ, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic, West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 2001.
5. Roberts HJ. Aspartame (NutraSweet) addiction. Townsend Letter for Doctors 2000: 198 (January): 52-57.
H. J. Roberts, MD FACP
Palm Beach Institute For Medical Research
P. O. Box 17799
West Palm Beach, Florida 33416 USA
Note from Dr. Betty Martini:
Please note we have notified Wrigley for years about the information Dr. Roberts has reported for this published article. Rather than remove aspartame from their gum they have now put this toxin in almost all their gums, and mixed with other unsafe sweeteners like acesulfame potassium (caused cancer and leukemia in original studies) and sucralose or Splenda which has a chlorinated base like DDT and can cause autoimmune disease. ( http://www.wnho.net (click on aspartame) and http://www.dorway.com ).
We have also notified Pfizer maker of the Listerine Strips since they came out that consumers were reporting seizures including kids, along with other adverse reactions on the FDA list of 92 symptoms. They won't even answer my emails anymore.
Wrigley's and Pfizer have now been sued over poisoning the public with Aspartame. Go to www.wnho.net and right on the front page you will see the information on those companies sued so far for having aspartame in their products with full knowledge.
Dr. Roberts books and tapes can be gotten by going to httyp://www.sunsentpress.com or calling 1-800-827-7991. See Dr. Roberts in the new film on aspartame called Sweet Misery:
~~~ Filmed in-person interviews with doctors, lawyers, people with aspartame related health problems, advocates, and many others ~~~~
After 7000 miles, and 25 hours of footage, "Sweet Misery" reveals one of the most pervasive, insidious forms of corporate negligence in the history of the industrial revolution.
The toxic long-term effects of aspartame are often dismissed as a "hoax" by the sweetener industry and at least five other Internet websites. The real footwork, however, unravels something less comforting than a mere "Hoax." "Sweet Misery" is a documentary just released by Sound and Fury Productions http://www.soundandfuryproductions.com
"Aspartame is inherently, markedly and uniquely unstable in aqueous media" is a quote from the congressional record in 1985, yet it was approved for use in soft drinks and other beverages.
So what happened?
Is there credible evidence if you look beyond the smokescreen of corporate medicine? The primary research and interviews have been quite disturbing.
Dr. Woodrow C. Monte wrote: "Methanol [one of the breakdown products of aspartame] has no therapeutic properties and is considered only as a toxicant. The ingestion of two teaspoons is considered lethal in humans" (Monte, Woodrow, "Aspartame: Methanol and the Public Health", Journal of Applied Nutrition, Vol. 36, Number 1, 1984, p. 44).
Long-term use can create a ticking time-bomb for a large array of neurological illnesses, including (but not limited to) Brain Cancer, Lou Gehrig's Disease, Graves Disease, Chronic Fatigue, MS and Epilepsy. Documentary Hits Home:
In November of 2001, Cori Brackett, co-owner of Sound and Fury Productions, unaware of any controversy surrounding artificial sweeteners and had been a heavy consumer of diet soda, began experiencing a tingling sensation in her hands and feet. She read an article about aspartame being connected to many health problems and quit using products like diet soda - which contain aspartame.
However, the tingling stubbornly continued, eventually convincing her to seek medical advice. Her doctor ordered an MRI of her brain which resulted in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.
At first, she was horrified as her condition quickly progressed to the point that she had double vision, slurred speech, and weak limbs forcing her to use a wheelchair. Through dietary changes and a host of therapies, her condition improved and continues to do so to this day.
This rather extreme experience caused her to go on a journey across country, seeking answers. The result of this quest is the documentary, "Sweet Misery" and the upcoming collection of poems called "Through the Shadows."
As Cori says, "I never asked for any of this, but since it happened, I feel compelled to share with others. I only want to help people in any way that I can. I ask for full disclosure from companies, so that everyone has a true understanding of what they purchase and consume."
DON'T MISS THIS FILM! IT COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE, OR THE LIFE OF A FRIEND OR LOVED ONE........